The Department of Textile and Apparel Management (TAM) at the University of Missouri (MU) offers a 100% online graduate certificate in Digital Merchandising. This program targets any individuals who want to better position themselves in digital commerce through a short-term, high-quality, research-based programs. More and more retailing and businesses have digital transactions, and new skills and knowledge are required to be successful in the digital marketplace.
About the Program
This is a 12-credit hour (or 4 classes) program and is part of the Stackable Degree, M.S. in Business from the University of Missouri. The MS in Business consists of 12 credits of core business foundations courses, a minimum of 12 credits from a business graduate certificate and a minimum of 12 credits from another business graduate certificate or a partner graduate certificate (Digital Merchandising).
Upon completion of the certificate program, students will be able to:
- Propose new digital merchandising strategies that would enhance digital commerce after analyzing best practices in crafting merchandise assortments, web copy, photography, SEO, and other key techniques; comparing all major costs of running digital commerce, such as shipping, returns, marketing, inventory management, and/or fulfillment.
- Create brand growth strategies in digital commerce space after evaluating digital branding processes in products, place, pricing, and promotions.
- Develop new digital marketing strategies after analyzing digital marketing tools currently available for business and marketing communications, such as google analytics and visualization tools; and evaluating the interaction between the marketers and the consumers on digital marketing channels, including email, text and various social media platforms.
- Evaluate appropriateness of digital data visualization techniques and software tools for a visualization task at hand after learning the principles and various techniques of information visualization.
- Create overall digital commerce strategies by applying branding, merchandising, marketing and data visualization knowledge and techniques.
The graduate certificate in digital merchandising will require students completing 4 online courses or 12 credit hours. The courses are:
- Branding, TAM 7300: This course addresses the management of branding product lines produced by textile and apparel firms; strategic implications of the development of brand equity toward increasing customer loyalty. Every fall semester
- Digital marketing for fashion, TAM 7000: This course develops an understanding of digital marketing strategies and provides executional considerations when fashion companies perform marketing plans within digital channels. Students will utilize analytical and critical thinking skills to apply the latest technologies to develop integrated marketing strategies across various digital platforms. Every fall semester
- Digital merchandising, TAM 7600: The course presents a comprehensive overview of the quickly evolving world of digital merchandising across all electronic channels, with an emphasis on fashion. The students learn the architecture and functionality of websites, mobile apps, and social media, and the successful techniques being utilized to optimize sales and profits. Every spring semester
- The Retail Consumer: Advanced Data Analytics, TAM 7400: Analyze the effects of economic, social and marketing factors on the consumption process in the age of big data through various latest consumer retail data analysis and visualization techniques.
- Information visualization and visual analytics, Arch St 7962: This course addresses the foundation for information visualization and deals with external representation and interactive manipulation of information, data or artifacts using digital tools to enhance communication, analytical reasoning and decision-making.
- Award winning researchers and teachers in the field.
- 100% online, no campus visits required
- Flexible timeline to completion – continue to work while earning your degree
- Rolling admissions – courses offered in fall and spring semesters. Taking a break in summer. Students can start in fall or in spring semester.
- Flat-rate tuition – no added distance or out-of-state costs
- Tuition reduction available for MU/Extension employees and military members
- Federal financial aid eligible
- Applied focus to enhance your current work or support future career goals
- Learn alongside other working professionals across the nation and the world
- Hands-on advisers help you meet your goals
- Take charge of your learning and career growth
- May be able to use the credits to earn the Master’s of Science in Textile and Apparel Management (30 credit hours). If you choose to continue your education, this program offers a transition from a graduate certificate to a Master’s of science in textile and apparel management (30 credit hours) after completion of the graduate certificate. The formal admission process to MS in TAM (resident program) will need to take place separately. Students must come to Columbia to complete the MS degree as it is not online.
- Use it to earn the Master’s of Science in Business at Mizzou, 100% online
- Students must have earned a US bachelor’s degree or in equivalent from an accredited institution. If your degree is from a college or university outside of the United States, the institution must be recognized and approved by the Ministry of Education or Commission responsible for higher education in the country where the degree is earned. The degree must be equivalent to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree, or higher degree.
- All non-native English-speaking applications are required to provide proof of English language ability. Please see the type of acceptable English language tests and minimum English proficiency test scores from here.
- Latest resume or vita
- Unofficial transcript (official transcript will be required by the graduate school once accepted)
- Personal statement
- Language requirements if non-native English speakers
If you will be a new graduate student to University of Missouri, fill out the application and pay the application fee through the MU Graduate School online application system. If you are currently a graduate student at MU seeking another graduate degree(s), please fill out the “Application for Graduate change of Program, Degree, Emphasis, or Advisor form” to add this certificate to your degree portfolio.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are a non-MU student, fill out the application and pay the application fee through the MU Graduate School online application system. You also must submit a letter stating your goals and unofficial transcripts through the application website. If you are a non-native English-speaking student, please apply using the non-native English-speaking student application. Proof of English proficiency is required (see more from here). If you are admitted by the department, please request official transcripts of your baccalaureate degree(s) and send to the MU Graduate School.
If you are currently at MU seeking another graduate degree(s), please fill out the “Application for Graduate change of Program, Degree, Emphasis, or Advisor form” to add this certificate to your degree portfolio.